Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Review: Cinder

Cinder Cinder by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book has been on my to-read list for such a long time because I really liked the graphics on the cover. Eventually, I ended up checked out the audiobook and listening to it on OverDrive, and I wasn't disappointed. Cinder is a part-cyborg, part-human girl who belongs to a widow with two children. She is responsible for supporting the family with her mechanic skills; however, like the story of Cinderella, her stepmother treats her cruelly and she is only able to connect with one of her stepsisters. As she is dealing with issues in her family, there is also a deadly disease that is spreading throughout the country. (The overall story plot is given in the summary)

So, why only 3 stars?
1. The first reason is terrible, but I actually didn't like the narrator's voice in the audiobooks. The way she read some of the sentences made me think that Cinder was a very snotty girl.
2. The novelty of the plot lasted for the first four chapters or so. After that, everything that happened seemed super obvious. I predicted everything that was basically going to happen, which eliminate the shock factor that I appreciate in my books.
3. That cliff-hanger ending killed me. I honestly didn't even know the story ended, and then immediately thought that the publishers want to reap as much money as they can get out of people.

Overall, this was a fun a fun and pleasant read and I would recommend it to anyone looking for fun fairy tale retellings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment