Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Review: The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Despite all the negative reviews I have heard about this book, I really enjoyed this J. K. Rowling novel. Growing up with the Harry Potter series, I tried to focus on not having any preconceived notions before reading this book...and the story really wowed me.

Three things:
1. Rowling is an outstanding story-teller. I had the hardest time keeping track of all the families and characters introduced throughout the first couple of chapters, but I really enjoyed learning how all of the characters eventually linked together (even if it is just the tiny little details). The depth broached by her writing abilities was absolutely incredible. I didn't even know that small city council elections can become so heinous (and exciting) behind the scenes. I like to write short stories in my own time, but I feel like I will never be able to manipulate words and phrases the same way as Rowling.

2. Surprisingly, I really liked all the characters despite their faults. (view spoiler) But she does this to paint the message that we are all human despite our portrayed countenance. This message becomes incredibly moving throughout the complex plot twists in the novel.

3. The ending. This is one of the few novels where I basically couldn't put the book down for the last 60 pages or so. Even though this is a contemporary piece of work, the ending was thrilling and satisfying. I hate endings that are anticlimactic or impractical and this one definitely exceeded my expectation for the plot of the book.

Overall, I would really recommend this book to everyone to read with an open mind towards Rowling's works. The Harry Potter series was targetted for a fantasy-loving, young adult audience. This work is profane and darkly humorous, but nevertheless brilliantly written.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment