Thursday, July 7, 2016

Review: Palace of Stone

Palace of Stone Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I saw this book at the library, I decided to read it even though I read the first Princess Academy book almost 10 years ago! This book focuses on Miri and the other Academy girls going to Asland to prepare for Britta's wedding to the prince. At the beginning, it was really hard for me to engage myself (again) with the characters and the plot of the story; but as the pace began to pick up, I found myself really appreciating the intellect and maturity of the characters.

My major complaints:
1. The whole concept of quarry-speech became distorted in this book. It was very practical and realistic from what I remembered in the first book, but now it just seems like a new superpower.
2. I actually really liked Timon. I liked this personality and his approach to life, and I felt like his story was incomplete. It seemed as if the author wrote a couple of pages in the end about him for the purpose of ending the story.
3. There were certain chapters where Miri really annoyed me. In the first book, I remember her being a very smart and capable girl. But she seems so stupid in this one, being constantly duped over and over again.

Overall, it was a nice and quick read. I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Hale's previous works.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment