Sunday, August 7, 2016

Review: Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book has been on my to-read list for over 6 years when I first played Sayuri's Theme in my high school orchestra. After all this time, I finally decided that I was finally ready to read it (and so now I can watch the movie afterward). I heard from many people that it is a phenomenal book, but I had my doubts because I didn't especially like the cover. After reading it, I honestly have nothing bad I can say about this book. Every single page was absolutely thrilling to read and I especially admired the poetic beauty of Golden's writing.

The story follows Chiyo Sakamoto who is sold during the harsh times of the Great Depression in Japan to a house in Gion to train to become a geisha. Later on, she falls in love with the Chairman who displayed great kindness to her even at a time when she was emotionally and mentally unstable to continue her training. Chiyo becomes determine to become one of the best geishas in Gion to "find her way back to the Chairman.

Upon picking up this book, I knew that it explore some dark themes that involve using sex as a form of currency rather than an emotional connection. (view spoiler)

While reading this, you almost really felt like you were having tea with Sayuri as she told her life story. Overall, this has definitely been one of my favorite classic novels and it's no doubt that it's one of those books that everyone needs to read at least once.

(Now it's time to watch the movie!!!)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment