Sunday, August 7, 2016

Review: The Rose & the Dagger

The Rose & the Dagger The Rose & the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Honestly, this book did not match up to my expectations after reading The Wrath & the Dawn. I loved the first book because of the developing romance between Khalid and Shazi in the most unexpected circumstances. Instead, this book focuses primarily on breaking the curse placed on Khalid by a crazy maniac.

Why this book disappointed me:
1. The beginning was really hard for me to get into for some reason. As I mentioned in my previous review, the ending to The Wrath and the Dawn was extremely anticlimactic for me. This probably left me in a poor state of mind going into the second book because I found the first third of the book to be incredibly boring.
2. This book takes such a long time building up to the dreadful curse destroying Khalid and the country. Lo and behold, this said curse was broken within a couple of pages. I almost laughed because it was so hyped and so ridiculous. Even Shazi's so-called powers seem to be scattered throughout the book just to drive the plot. Ahdieh is a great romantic author, but her fantasy writing is very lacking in this case.
3. I love Khalid; I really do. And it was kinda disappointing that there wasn't more of him in this book. His relationship with Shazi is

description

Overall, great quick read, but it wasn't a strong follow-up to the first book.

Overall duology rating: 3.5 Stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment