Thursday, August 31, 2017

Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin

A Court of Wings and Ruin A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Was this book an interesting read? Sure, but I was also so bored halfway through that I was debating whether or not I should dnf the book. But then I realized that I was already HALFWAY through the atrocity so I might as well keep going. I'm going to only talk about some of the problems I had with this book because if I listed out everything, this review will end up being way too long.

1. The romance between Feyre and Rhys made me cringe. It was literally the worst. Like every time they are together, they are so sex-crazy that they also jump each other. War negotiation? How about sex? And they are somehow always touching each other. Rhysand would keep his hand on Feyre's leg or the small of her back when meeting with other High Lords because he was HER MATE. Are you kidding me? These books are advertised as storylines with a strong female protagonist but at the end of the day, she can't even stand up for herself when Tamlin was verbally discrediting her worth. I think Maas was trying to make Rhys the "perfect man" by always letting Feyre make "her choices", but I thought he was pretty pathetic since he can't even stand up for his own beliefs and battle plans just so it appeared that he "respected" her. No. A relationship should be built on equality and not who has the power. I cannot even tell you how many times I rolled my eyes throughout this entire novel when this pairing was together.

2. Don't even get me started on the copious amount of terrible sex scenes that are scattered throughout the book. I honestly don't even want to talk about this because it was so disgusting. The growling...purring...ew.

3. I really didn't like Feyre in this book. She is annoying and self-righteous. In one of the later battle scenes, Mor was worried when Feyre disappears. Instead of apologizing and being empathetic towards her friend, Feyre lashes out and accuses Mor of not being honest with her about her romantic interests. What the f*** is this? (cue me throwing the book at the wall) Does she know how to actually have friends or is this one of those books where the main character is conveniently liked by everyone?

4. And speaking of Mor. Wow. She is absolutely terrible for leading Azriel on for over 500 years. And even though they've been friends for over 500 years, they've never talked about this? And it all comes out upon meeting Feyre for 6 months. Okay.

5. Do you notice that all the characters have the same personality? The females have this pretentious badass personality and all the male characters are basically perfect. After a while, it just gets really boring. I was really excited to meet some of the other High Lords, but guess what? They acted just the same as Mor and Cassian...just with different names. You could almost copy and paste different filler names and it wouldn't have changed much of the plot.

6. So it takes the rest of the Night Court 500+ years of training to control their powers, but it takes Feyre like a year at most. I really, really hate it when the main character is just automatically THAT GOOD at everything. Rhysand being the most powerful High Lord also annoyed me. Maas just couldn't resist the power couple troupe, could she?

6. There was so much plot that just happens conveniently. The entire war. And the scene where Feyre looks into the Cauldron and becomes omniscient. I almost laughed. And guess what? Both Rhys and Amran don't end up dying. You know why? Maas has to even make the ending unrealistically perfect.

Overall rating: 1.75 Stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment