Thursday, August 31, 2017

Review: The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Everyone was raving about this book, so I was really worried that I wouldn't like it as much because my expectations were already set so high. But this book was definitely worth the read and I would recommend it to everyone.

This book is inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. It centers around Starr Carter, who witnesses one of her unarmed friends shot by a white police officer. What I like about this story is that it doesn't only focus on the aftermath of the shooting, but it also gives a thorough perspective of the difference between rich and poor neighborhoods, local gang wars, and Starr's interactions between her school friends and boyfriend. For example, Starr's dad used to be the leader of a local gang and how he continuously tries to seek a better life for his children after being released from prison. She also has issues with opening up to her white boyfriend, who claims to understand racial tensions, but at the same time asks her why black people have weird names. Really?

Again, I can't emphasize how this book is such a phenomenal and powerful read, especially with the current political climate in the United States. Starr is really funny and I appreciated all of her Harry Potter jokes, but there are also heartbreaking moments when I feel how frustrated she is with the state of her situation.

Overall rating: 4.75 Stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment