Thursday, August 31, 2017

Review: Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that you hate yourself for reading but keep going anyway. I liked it better than Dark Places but not as much as I adored Gone Girl. This thriller follows Camille Preaker as she is given an assignment by her local newspaper to investigate the recent murders of two young girls in her hometown. From there on out, she realizes that the two murders very closely resemble her younger sister murder ten years ago.

Similar to Into the Water, this book has the mystery in a small town feel. Everyone seems to know secrets about everyone else, and it's hard to sort out the truth from all the gossip. I had a major problem with the pacing of the book: there were certain points where the narrative seemed to drag on, but I think it might have been the effect that the author was going for to represent (view spoiler). And the plot twist. Oh my goodness, I didn't see that one coming from miles away. I literally had to stop and reread the last two pages to make sure I wasn't going crazy. With a sharp blend of the nasty, unsettling situations and conversations that Camille experiences, this book will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page.

Overall rating: 3.75 Stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment