Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Review: Landline

Landline Landline by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Landline is a book about a woman named Georgie McCool who chooses to work instead of going with her husband and children to Omaha for Christmas with the in-laws. Georgie soon realizes that the only way for her to contact Neal was through a landline phone that allows her to talk to Neal from 15 years ago.

There were many aspects of this book that I really liked, such as the diversity of the characters and the nonlinear story plot that detailed Georgie and Neal's relationship. However, I had many, many problems with this book. First of all, I didn't really relate to any of the characters. Georgie is a very career-driven woman, which I have no problem with, but she her attitude towards her profession and her family makes her one of those people that seem like they won't succeed in either job. Neal was flat out pathetic, and I really didn't enjoy the "romantic" drama that ensued between them. Another major issue I had with this book was the ending. It was very abruptly written and unsatisfying. It comes as no surprise that Georgie and Neal end up together, but I wanted them to talk through the problems in their relationship again to find a middle ground between work and family. I also wanted to know what happens to Georgie and Seth's TV show scripts. That storyline was abandoned half way through the book when the drama started picking up.

I enjoyed this book as a quick summer read, but I felt ambivalent towards the romance and the conflicts.

Overall rating: 3 Stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment