Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Top Five Wednesdays: July 12, 2017

Topic: Children/Middle Grade Books

Recommendations:
1. Matilda by Roald Dahl - 5 / 5 Stars
Obviously. I honestly don't even remember when I first read this book, but it was absolutely amazing. Like, I tried to become Matilda the next day by going to the library, checking out adult classics, and attempting to read them (I later discovered that I didn't have the same aptitude as Matilda). There is just a certain way which Dahl writes that I adore. The story was funny and inspiring, and I believe this was one of the first books I have ever bothered to reread.

2. The Boxcar Children Series by Gertrude Chandler Warner - 5 / 5 Stars
I loved mysteries (still do) as a kid, but I thought Encyclopedia Brown and Nancy Drew weren't really my taste. I really liked how this series establishes a family of orphans that take care of each other and solve mysteries.

3. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin - 5 / 5 Stars
I actually read this book much later in my life (I believe it was sometime around high school?), but it was really good. It follows the story of Minli as she goes on an adventure to seek better fortunes for her family. The little folklore stories that are mentioned throughout the journey further improved the overall quality of the book.

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - 5 / 5 Stars
I think every child needs to read this book just to open up their mind to the possibilities of words, numbers, sentences, etc. This book taught me that common items that we are exposed to everyday can be seen as an adventure, as long as you open your eyes to the world around you. The message from this story is incredibly inspiring!

5. The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden - 4 / 5 Stars
This is such a cute classical story. I honestly don't remember much of the plot because I read this book such a long time ago, but I absolutely loved the book. This just means that I definitely need to reread this book sometimes in the future.

Let me know what are some of your top children/middle grade books! If you would like to check out other books that I have read, subscribe to the blog, and be sure to check out my Goodread page

If you would like to start your own Top Five Wednesdays lists, be sure to check out the Goodreads group!

No comments:

Post a Comment