Saturday, July 15, 2017

Review: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I honestly had no idea what to expect when I started this book. I heard from many friends that it was really insightful and definitely worth reading if you are looking to change your personal philosophy. Honestly, if I wasn't still suffering the hungover from reading Hamilton the Revolution, I would have given this book a higher rating.

The major point this book emphasized was to stop caring about every little detail in your life and instead focus on those ideals and values that actually matter. The subtle shift comes from not being disappointed, but slowing changing your values so that they are more holistic and sustainable to obtain optimal happiness.

In the first couple of chapters, I really didn't like the style of the writing. Even though I knew there was going to be cussing and profane language, it was just so scattered throughout EVERY SINGLE sentence that I became really annoyed. If the author was really trying to get his point across, let me actually read your ideas instead of figuring out what you're trying to say between cuss words. Honestly, that was probably my only problem with the entire book. After trudging through the first two chapters, the rest of the story included well-detailed and emotional narratives that reflected the development of the "prioritizing" philosophy (I'm coining that term instead of the "no-f*uckery" philosophy). The last chapter of the book was very provocative. It really allowed me to take a step back and ask myself if I'm happy with the way my life is if I died tomorrow.

I would recommend the book to people who want to take a look a life from a different perspective. Just keep an open mind and don't let the language bother you too much.

Overall rating: 4 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment